METAMUCIL ORIGINAL TEXTURE OTC
Generic Name and Formulations:
Psyllium husk 3.4g; per rounded teaspoon; pwd; unflavored; contains sodium, potassium.
Procter & Gamble Pharmaceuticals
Indications for METAMUCIL ORIGINAL TEXTURE:
3.4g of powder in 8oz liquid, or 2 wafers or 5 caps with 8oz liquid 1–3 times daily, or 5 caps plus calcium with 8oz liquid up to 4 times daily. Drink 8 more ounces of liquid after powder. Results in 12–72 hours.
<6yrs: not recommended. 6–11yrs (use powder or wafer): 1.7g of powder in 8oz liquid, or 1 wafer with 8oz liquid 1–3 times daily. Drink 8 more ounces of liquid after powder.
Signs/symptoms of appendicitis. Intestinal obstruction. Fecal impaction. Dysphagia.
Rectal bleeding. Esophageal narrowing. Diabetes (sugar-containing forms).
Separate dosing by at least 2 hours from other medications.
Esophageal, gastric, enteral, rectal obstruction.
Pwd—48, 72, 114, 180, 220 doses; Pwd packets—30; Wafers—24; Caps—100, 160, 300; Caps + calcium—75, 120
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Chronic Neuropathic Pain Updated Classification by IASP for ICD-11
- Buprenorphine-Naloxone Found to Be More Cost-Effective Than Extended-Release Naltrexone
- Ultrasound-Guided C2 Coblation May Be Effective for Cervicogenic Headache
- Meta-Analysis of Opioid Treatment for Chronic Noncancer Pain
- Opioids Found to Increase Risk for Community-Acquired Pneumonia, Particularly in HIV
- Reviewing the Use of Buprenorphine in Perioperative Pain Management
- Early Physical Therapy for Musculoskeletal Pain May Reduce Opioid Use
- External Trigeminal Nerve Stimulation May Alleviate Migraine Pain
- IASP Updates Diagnosis Criteria for Chronic Primary Pain for ICD-11
- Galcanezumab Provides Persistent Preventive Effects in Episodic, Chronic Migraine
- Comparable Analgesia With Low-Dose IV Ketamine, Morphine for Acute Pain
- Benzodiazepines, if Prescribed, May Not Affect Methadone Treatment Retention
- When Opioid Prescribing Guidelines Become Rules
- IV Fluid Confers No Significant Treatment Effect on Migraine Pain
- American Headache Society Releases Position Statement on Novel Preventive and Acute Migraine Treatments