Generic Name and Formulations:
Atovaquone 750mg/5mL; oral susp; citrus flavor.
Indications for MEPRON:
Treatment of mild-to-moderate Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia (PCP) in patients intolerant to trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMX). Prevention of PCP in patients intolerant to TMP/SMX.
Limitations Of use:
Treatment of more severe PCP has not been studied. Mepron's efficacy has not been studied in those who are failing therapy with TMP/SMX.
Take with food. ≥13yrs: Treatment: 750mg twice daily for 21 days. Prophylaxis: 1500mg once daily.
<13yrs: not established.
GI disorders or inability to take with food. Monitor in severe hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant rifampin or rifabutin: not recommended. Antagonized by tetracycline; caution and monitor if use is needed. May be antagonized by metoclopramide (use only if other antiemetics are not available). Antagonizes indinavir; caution and monitor if use is needed.
Diarrhea, rash, headache, nausea, fever, rhinitis, vomiting, sweating, flu syndrome, sinusitis, pruritus, insomnia, depression, myalgia.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis