Generic Name and Formulations:
Nitrofurantoin macrocrystals 25mg, 50mg, 100mg; caps.
Indications for MACRODANTIN:
Take with food. 50–100mg 4 times daily for at least 7 days. Long-term use: 50–100mg at bedtime.
Take with food. <1 month: not recommended. ≥1 month: 5–7mg/kg per day in 4 divided doses for at least 7 days. Long-term use: 1mg/kg per day in 1–2 divided doses.
Anuria, oliguria, CrCl <60mL/min. Neonates <1 month of age. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy at term. History of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction associated with nitrofurantoin.
Not for treating pyelonephritis or perinephric abscesses. Discontinue if pulmonary reactions, hepatic disorders, or hemolysis occurs. Renal insufficiency; monitor (esp. in elderly). G6PD or Vit. B deficiency. Anemia. Diabetes. Electrolyte imbalance. Monitor renal function and pulmonary condition in long-term use. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Reduced absorption by magnesium trisilicate. Uricosurics (eg, probenecid, sulfinpyrazone) may inhibit tubular secretion. May cause false (+) glucose test with Benedict's or Fehling's solution.
Nausea, headache, dizziness, anorexia, alopecia; C. diff-associated diarrhea, pulmonary disorders, hepatic damage, hemolytic anemia, peripheral neuropathy (may be irreversible), anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias; rare: exfoliative dermatitis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, aplastic anemia.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis