Low Back Pain
For this review, the authors searched 5 large databases for studies that compared the use of anticonvulsants (i.e., topiramate, gabapentin, pregabalin) in adult patients with LBP, sciatica, or neurogenic claudication with placebo.
A combination of usual medical care and chiropractic care may be more effective than usual care alone in treating acute low back pain and associated disability in active-duty military personnel.
Imaging for low back pain may commonly be overused, but also underused.
For active-duty military personnel, the addition of chiropractic care to usual medical care is associated with improvements in low back pain intensity and disability.
Burning and prickling sensations, in addition to pressure pain and pain attacks, may serve as indicators of chronicity in low back pain.
The most common prescription drug in US adults with chronic low back pain are opioids.
A combination of self-care education, aerobic and strength-training exercise, and spinal manipulation therapy may provide greater pain relief and improved treatment satisfaction compared with exercise only in adolescents with low back pain.
Somatic symptom burden may affect health-related quality of life in patients with chronic low back pain.
More emphasis should be placed on self-management, physical and psychological therapies for treating low back pain, rather than pharmacological or surgical treatments.
Risks Associated With Intra-Articular Lumbar Facet Joint Injections of Triamcinolone Acetonide for Low Back Pain
The long half-life of triamcinolone and its cortisol-suppressing effects may increase the risk for serious drug-drug interactions in patients treated with facet joint steroid injections for chronic low back pain who take medications with an inhibitory effect on corticosteroid metabolism.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer