Good screening is key to good treatment.
It is not hard to understand that pain can make sleep difficult, but how does sleep disturbance drive pain sensitivity?
Treating this neuropathic pain condition can be complicated because of polypharmacy, drug dosing schedules, adverse events, drug-drug interactions, and patient comorbidities.
Advising patients to ask questions before surgery can reduce communication problems after surgery.
The Institute of Medicine has estimated that chronic pain affects approximately 100 million adults in the United States, with an estimated annual cost of up to $635 billion.
Developing drugs that selectively block specific sodium channels could be the holy grail of neuropathic pain treatment.
Research on the relationship between footwear, injury and subsequent pain rates is limited. A switch to a minimalist shoe or barefoot running should be done gradually.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis