Terbinafine Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Terbinafine HCl 250mg.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Terbinafine Tablets:
Onychomycosis of the toenail or fingernail due to tinea unguium.
250mg once daily for 6 weeks (fingernail) or 12 weeks (toenail).
Chronic or active liver disease.
Onychomycosis: confirm diagnosis with nail specimen. Perform LFTs prior to and periodically during treatment. Discontinue if hepatic injury, progressive skin rash (eg, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, DRESS), taste/smell disturbances, severe neutropenia (neutrophils ≤1000 cells/mm3), thrombotic microangiopathy occur, or if lupus erythematosus is suspected. Monitor CBCs if immunodeficient. Renal impairment (CrCl <50mL/min). Pregnancy (Cat.B), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Antagonized by rifampin. May be potentiated by cimetidine or CYP2C9 and CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, fluconazole, ketoconazole, amiodarone). May potentiate caffeine or drugs metabolized by CYP2D6 (eg, tricyclic antidepressants, SSRIs, beta-blockers). May antagonize cyclosporine.
Headache, diarrhea, rash, dyspepsia, liver enzyme abnormalities, pruritus, taste disturbances, nausea, abdominal pain, flatulence, urticaria; hepatotoxicity, depressive symptoms, smell disturbances.
Formerly known under the brand name Lamisil.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis