Most cases of leukopenia are associated with a low number of granulocytes.
Decreased production of granulocytes may be caused by marrow failure, infiltration of the marrow by leukemic cells or metastatic cancer cells, suppression of granulocyte production by certain drugs, and vitamin B12 or folate deficiency.
There may be an accelerated removal of granulocytes following exposure to certain drugs, as part of an autoimmune disorder, in certain infections, or from splenic sequestration of granulocytes.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Most important test: WBC count and differential
Peripheral blood smear and bone marrow aspirate, with or without bone marrow biopsy, is informative in the diagnosis of certain leukopenias.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Opioid Use Disorders: Advances in Pharmacotherapy Provide Long-term Results
- Abuse-Deterrent Opioid Formulations: Barriers to Broader Use
- Women Frequently Prescribed High Doses of Opioids After Vaginal Delivery
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Medical Cannabis Legalization Associated With Reduced Schedule III Opioid Prescriptions
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- FDA Taps Social Media to Identify and Assess Emerging Drug Abuse Threats
- Buffered Lidocaine May Be Superior to Nonbuffered Lidocaine for Inferior Alveolar Nerve Block
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Marijuana's Uncertain Status: Closing the Gap Between State and Federal Policies