Increased PT Only: A Prolonged PT with a Normal PTT
Initiation of Coumadin therapy or a very low dose of Coumadin
Inadequate intake of foods rich in vitamin K, such as cauliflower, broccoli, chick peas, other leafy vegetables
A stimulus for disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC)
Evidence of liver disease from clinical or laboratory parameters
Family history of bleeding that could be associated with factor VII deficiency
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Get liver function tests to assess whether the patient has liver disease and decreased synthesis of coagulation factors from the liver
Get a D-dimer or FDP as an assessment of DIC
If the test is positive, follow up with platelet count and measurement of fibrinogen.
In patients with DIC, these can be decreased or show decreasing values in two consecutive specimens at least several hours apart.
If DIC, Coumadin therapy, and vitamin K deficiency have been ruled out, measure the factor VII level and assess the possibility of an isolated factor VII deficiency.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Stages of Low Back Pain Have Specific Sets of Clinical Indicators
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Pain Interference Associated With Depression, Pain Self-Efficacy in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Factors Associated With Neuropathic Pain in Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Effect of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs on Fatal, Nonfatal Drug Overdoses
- Standardized SCS Workflow May Effectively Alleviate Failed Back Surgery Syndrome-Related Pain
- Marijuana Legalization and Opioid Prescribing Rates
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Interbrain Coupling During Handholding Associated With Analgesia, Empathy
- Remission Rates and Predictors of Chronic Headache
- Overuse and Underuse of Imaging Common in Low Back Pain Management
- Unit-Dose Packaging of Buprenorphine-Naloxone Effective on Unintentional Pediatric Exposure
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Opioid-Related Adverse Drug Events Associated With Worse Patient, Cost Outcomes