Elevated Platelet Count
Essential thrombocythemia with platelet count typically greater than 600,000/µL
Reactive thrombocytosis from:
iron deficiency anemia
acute blood loss
rebound from marrow suppression or immune thrombocytopenia
Platelet counts greater than 1,000,000/µL are worrisome for acute thrombotic events.
Elevated platelet count with poorly functioning platelets does not present an increased risk for thrombosis.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Reactive thrombocytosis from a variety of causes is far more common than essential thrombocythemia (a chronic myeloproliferative disorder).
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Test that reveals any of the causes of reactive thrombocytosis previously noted are valuable.
Tests to confirm the presence of essential thrombocythemia include:
bone marrow biopsy to show an increase in the number of megakaryocytes
normal RBC mass to exclude polycythemia vera
platelet aggregation study showing a selective impaired aggregation response only to epinephrine suggests essential thrombocythemia
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Abuse-Deterrent Opioid Formulations: Barriers to Broader Use
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Medical Cannabis Legalization Associated With Reduced Schedule III Opioid Prescriptions
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- Predicting Pain Chronicization After Spine Surgery
- Chronic Low Back Pain Levels Vary Between Sex and Race
- FDA Approval of Medication With a Digital Monitoring System: Major Breakthrough or "Brave New World"?
- Errors in Clinical Notes Generated by Speech Recognition Are Not Uncommon
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?