An Elevated Value for Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG)
Confirmation of intrauterine pregnancy
Gestational trophoblastic disease Nongestational malignancies
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) tests can be performed using serum or urine.
Urine test is qualitative (yes/no).
Serum test can be qualitative or quantitative.
Serial quantitative measurements of hCG may be useful, especially in suspected ectopic pregnancy, where a low
Low levels of serial serum hCG may identify a spontaneous or threatened abortion.
An insufficient hCG decline after abortion indicates incomplete therapeutic or spontaneous abortion.
Gestational trophoblastic disease: hCG is abnormally high with a high ratio of free beta hCG to total hCG
hCG measurement may also be useful in the diagnosis, prognosis, and management of other tumors, such as testicular tumors.
hCG or a slow rise in the hCG in the absence of an intrauterine sac on ultrasonography suggests an ectopic pregnancy.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- Predicting Pain Chronicization After Spine Surgery
- Chronic Low Back Pain Levels Vary Between Sex and Race
- FDA Approval of Medication With a Digital Monitoring System: Major Breakthrough or "Brave New World"?
- Errors in Clinical Notes Generated by Speech Recognition Are Not Uncommon
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?