Generic Name and Formulations:
Sapropterin dihydrochloride 100mg; tabs.
Indications for KUVAN:
In conjunction with a phenylalanine (Phe)-restricted diet: To reduce blood Phe levels in hyperphenylalaninemia (HPA) due to tetrahydrobiopterin- (BH4-) responsive phenylketonuria (PKU).
Adults and Children:
<1 month: consult manufacturer. Take with food at same time each day. Dissolve tab in 4–8oz water or apple juice (may crush tab) and drink within 15 mins (tab may not completely dissolve). 1 month–6yrs: Initially 10mg/kg once daily; if inadequate response may increase to 20mg/kg once daily; if inadequate response after 1 month, discontinue. ≥7yrs: 10–20mg/kg once daily; if inadequate response after 1 month, discontinue. Usual range 5–20mg/kg per day; adjust based on blood Phe levels.
Monitor blood levels of Phe after 1 week to assess effect, then periodically. Discontinue if anaphylaxis occurs. Maintain Phe-restricted diet. Monitor BP and change in neurologic status. Hepatic or renal impairment; monitor. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Enzyme cofactor (BH4).
Caution with drugs that can inhibit folate metabolism (eg, methotrexate), PDE-5 inhibitors (eg, sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil), other nitric oxide donors, levodopa; monitor. May potentiate drugs that are P-gp or BCRP substrates.
Headache, rhinorrhea, pharyngolaryngeal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, cough, nasal congestion, gastritis, hypophenylalaninemia, hyperactivity (monitor).
Tabs—120; Packet—1, 30
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Abuse-Deterrent Opioid Formulations: Barriers to Broader Use
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Medical Cannabis Legalization Associated With Reduced Schedule III Opioid Prescriptions
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- Predicting Pain Chronicization After Spine Surgery
- Chronic Low Back Pain Levels Vary Between Sex and Race
- FDA Approval of Medication With a Digital Monitoring System: Major Breakthrough or "Brave New World"?
- Errors in Clinical Notes Generated by Speech Recognition Are Not Uncommon
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?