In clinical trials, treatment with Durolane resulted in greater reduction in Visual Analog Scale (VAS) pain scores at 3 and 6 months compared to Synvisc One (hylan G-F 20; Sanofi Genzyme).
Patients with knee osteoarthritis who can best benefit from treatment with intra-articular hyaluronic acid injections include patients with high levels of knee pain, younger individuals, persons with a high body mass index, and individuals with less severe structural damage.
Knee pain and functional impairments in elderly individuals are associated with the development of depressive symptoms.
Patients who are obese and experience knee pain were found to have improved pressure pain threshold at the patella and the wrist after weight loss associated with bariatric surgery vs medical management.
Pain relief of at least 50% following a prognostic genicular nerve block may not predict pain relief following genicular nerve cooled radiofrequency ablation in patients with chronic knee pain due to osteoarthritis.
The FDA has granted Fast Track designation to CNTX-4975, a highly potent, ultrapure, synthetic form of trans-capsaicin, for the treatment of pain associated with knee osteoarthritis.
Unilateral and bilateral knee pain may be associated with development of prefrailty and frailty over 6 years.
Flexion Therapeutics announced the availability of Zilretta (triamcinolone acetonide extended-release injectable suspension) indicated for the management of pain associated with osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee.
Extended-release paracetamol may have a greater analgesic effect than placebo in patients with osteoarthritic knee pain.
Fiber and/or the dietary supplement chondroitin may help reduce knee pain from arthritis.
Interactive online exercise intervention designed specifically for the management of chronic knee pain is highly effective in reducing pain and improving function for up to 9 months.
An internet-delivered physical therapist-prescribed home exercise and pain-coping skills training intervention is beneficial for individuals with chronic knee pain.
Higher intake of dietary fiber is linked with reduced knee pain in older adults with knee osteoarthritis.
Considerable increase for men, women aged 45 years and older; higher rates for women in 2000, 2010
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Supervised Injection Sites: Facts, Information, Pros, and Cons
- Chronic Pain May Be a Contributing Factor to Suicide
- Striking a Balance Between Opioid Surveillance and Patient Privacy
- Demographic Characteristics of Pregnant Women With Opioid Use Disorder
- Effects of Mindfulness Therapy, Pharmacologic Prophylaxis on Catecholamine Levels in Migraine
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Intrathecal Morphine, Ziconotide for Cancer- and Noncancer Chronic Pain
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Factors Associated With Suboptimal Interscalene Brachial Plexus Block for Arthroscopy
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- Scholarship Support Limited for Veterans Enrolling in MD Programs
- Alpha and Beta Band Activity in MS-Related Chronic Pain
- New Opioid-Induced Constipation Management Guidelines Available