In clinical trials, treatment with Durolane resulted in greater reduction in Visual Analog Scale (VAS) pain scores at 3 and 6 months compared to Synvisc One (hylan G-F 20; Sanofi Genzyme).
Patients with knee osteoarthritis who can best benefit from treatment with intra-articular hyaluronic acid injections include patients with high levels of knee pain, younger individuals, persons with a high body mass index, and individuals with less severe structural damage.
Knee pain and functional impairments in elderly individuals are associated with the development of depressive symptoms.
Patients who are obese and experience knee pain were found to have improved pressure pain threshold at the patella and the wrist after weight loss associated with bariatric surgery vs medical management.
Pain relief of at least 50% following a prognostic genicular nerve block may not predict pain relief following genicular nerve cooled radiofrequency ablation in patients with chronic knee pain due to osteoarthritis.
The FDA has granted Fast Track designation to CNTX-4975, a highly potent, ultrapure, synthetic form of trans-capsaicin, for the treatment of pain associated with knee osteoarthritis.
Unilateral and bilateral knee pain may be associated with development of prefrailty and frailty over 6 years.
Flexion Therapeutics announced the availability of Zilretta (triamcinolone acetonide extended-release injectable suspension) indicated for the management of pain associated with osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee.
Extended-release paracetamol may have a greater analgesic effect than placebo in patients with osteoarthritic knee pain.
Fiber and/or the dietary supplement chondroitin may help reduce knee pain from arthritis.
Interactive online exercise intervention designed specifically for the management of chronic knee pain is highly effective in reducing pain and improving function for up to 9 months.
An internet-delivered physical therapist-prescribed home exercise and pain-coping skills training intervention is beneficial for individuals with chronic knee pain.
Higher intake of dietary fiber is linked with reduced knee pain in older adults with knee osteoarthritis.
Considerable increase for men, women aged 45 years and older; higher rates for women in 2000, 2010
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Abuse-Deterrent Opioid Formulations: Barriers to Broader Use
- Women Frequently Prescribed High Doses of Opioids After Vaginal Delivery
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Medical Cannabis Legalization Associated With Reduced Schedule III Opioid Prescriptions
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- Prioritizing Rest in Hospital Settings: Poor Sleep Increases Costs, Complications, and Mortality
- Pain Catastrophizing Decreases in Rheumatoid Arthritis After DMARD Initiation
- Addressing Commercial Incentives in the Medical Device Industry
- Cancer Patients Treated With Step III Opioids Often Have Sleep Disturbances
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective