Generic Name and Formulations:
Sincalide 5mcg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV inj after reconstitution; contains sodium metabisulfite.
Indications for KINEVAC:
To stimulate gallbladder contraction, as may be assessed by various methods of diagnostic imaging, or to obtain by duodenal aspiration a sample of concentrated bile for analysis of cholesterol, bile salts, phospholipids, and crystals. To stimulate pancreatic secretion (especially in conjunction with secretin) prior to obtaining a duodenal aspirate for analysis of enzyme activity, composition, and cytology. To accelerate the transit of a barium meal through the small bowel, thereby decreasing the time and extent of radiation associated with fluoroscopy and x-ray examination of the intestinal tract.
Give by IV inj. Gallbladder contraction: 0.02mcg/kg over 30–60secs; if unsatisfactory contraction after 15mins, may give second dose of 0.04mcg/kg. Pancreatic function test: 0.02mcg/kg infused over 30mins (start 30mins after secretin infusion). Barium meal transit: 0.04mcg/kg over 30–60secs; if unsatisfactory transit of barium meal after 30mins, may give second dose of 0.04mcg/kg.
Have appropriate medical treatment readily available. Monitor for hypersensitivity reactions; discontinue if occur and do not restart. Small gallbladder stones (risk of lodging in cystic duct or common bile duct; rare). Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B); spontaneous abortion or premature induction of labor may occur, do not give to women near term. Nursing mothers.
Cholecystopancreatic-gastrointestinal hormone peptide.
Abdominal discomfort/pain, nausea; anaphylaxis, other hypersensitivity reactions.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- FDA Takes Steps to Reconcile Needs of Patients With Chronic Pain, Efforts to Curb Opioid Epidemic
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Neuropathic Symptoms Worsen Quality of Life, Function in Hip, Knee Osteoarthritis
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- Switching From Buprenorphine-Naltrexone to XR-Naltrexone as Effective as XR-Naltrexone
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Human Diagnosis Project Aims to Address Challenges Among Uninsured
- Healthcare Technology Affects Younger Patient Satisfaction
- FDA Announces New Drug Shortages Task Force