Generic Name and Formulations:
Timolol (as maleate) 0.5%; oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Bausch & Lomb Inc.
Indications for ISTALOL:
Open-angle glaucoma. Ocular hypertension.
1 drop in affected eye(s) once daily in the AM.
Greater than 1st-degree AV block. Overt cardiac failure. Cardiogenic shock. Sinus bradycardia. Bronchial asthma. Severe COPD. History of bronchospasm. Not for use as a sole agent in angle-closure glaucoma.
History of cardiac failure. Discontinue at 1st sign of cardiac failure, and before surgery. Avoid abrupt cessation. Diabetes. May mask hypoglycemia, thyrotoxicosis. Myasthenia gravis. Cerebrovascular insufficiency. Contact lenses (remove; may reinsert 15 min after instillation). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid other topical β-blockers. May potentiate systemic β-blockers, reserpine, hypoglycemics, and mydriatic effect of topical epinephrine. May be potentiated by quinidine. May cause conduction defects with digoxin, calcium channel blockers (avoid concomitant use in impaired cardiac function).
Local irritation (burning, stinging), blurred vision, cataract, conjunctival injection, infection, headache, hypertension, itching. Systemic β-blocker effects (eg, bronchospasm, bradycardia, cardiac failure, muscle weakness).
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis