Generic Name and Formulations:
Trivalent poliovirus vaccine; inactivated; whole virus grown in monkey kidney cells; IM or SC inj.
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Indications for IPOL:
Poliomyelitis immunization (virus Types 1, 2, and 3).
Inject IM or SC in deltoid area. Each dose is 0.5mL. Previously unvaccinated: Two doses at a 1–2 month interval and a third dose 6–12 months later. Incompletely vaccinated: give 1–2 doses to complete series. Completely vaccinated: may give booster dose.
Inject IM or SC in midlateral thigh. Each dose is 0.5mL. Under 6 wks: not recommended. Full IPV schedule: One dose at 2 months, 4 months, 6–18 months, and 4–6 years of age. Sequential schedule with oral polio vaccine (OPV) (do not use OPV for immunocompromised patients or patients with immunocompromised household contacts): One dose of IPOL at 2 months and at 4 months of age, then 1 dose of OPV at 12–18 months and 1 dose of OPV at 4–6 years of age.
Hypersensitivity to neomycin, streptomycin, or polymyxin B. May defer in acute febrile illness.
Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Immunodeficiency. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Immunosuppressants: may get suboptimal response.
Local irritation, fever, sleepiness, fussiness, decreased appetite.
Syringe 0.5mL (w. needle)—1, 10; Multidose vial (10 doses)—1
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Abuse-Deterrent Opioid Formulations: Barriers to Broader Use
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Medical Cannabis Legalization Associated With Reduced Schedule III Opioid Prescriptions
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- Predicting Pain Chronicization After Spine Surgery
- Chronic Low Back Pain Levels Vary Between Sex and Race
- FDA Approval of Medication With a Digital Monitoring System: Major Breakthrough or "Brave New World"?
- Errors in Clinical Notes Generated by Speech Recognition Are Not Uncommon
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?