Neurosurgery Procedures & Complications
Hospitalists will likely be increasingly responsible for the co-management of neurosurgical patients and should be familiar with the most common neurosurgical procedures and managing potential medical complications.
II. Identify the Goal Behavior.
III. Describe a Step-by-Step approach/method to this problem.
Step 1: Determine Revised Cardiac Risk Index (RCRI) score
Step 2: Assess patient's functional exercise capacity
Spinal Decompression and Fusion
IV. Common Pitfalls.
Anticoagulation and antiplatelet therapy:
- Discuss with neurosurgeon before starting anything that could increase bleeding risk
Volume management in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhages:
- Balancing risk of vasospasm with cardiopulmonary status
- Titrating BP meds too fast
Long-term steroid use:
- GI prophylaxis, glycemic control, counseling on muscle wasting/confusion/increased bleeding risk
V. National Standards, Core Indicators and Quality Measures.
No national standards/benchmarks established yet.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Cannabis Use High in Migraine
- Sustained-Release Sodium Nitrite for Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Not Associated With Headaches
- Restless Leg Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, and Depression Frequent in Migraine
- Percutaneous Electrolysis May Be Useful Adjunct for Subacromial Pain Syndrome
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use
- Targeted Educational Intervention Helped Reduce Opioid Exposure in Adult Inpatients
- Systematic Cross-Checking May Reduce Medical Errors in Emergency Departments
- Corticosteroid Plus Lidocaine Injections Do Not Alleviate Pain in Central Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
- Tofacitinib May Effectively Alleviate Pain in RA, Psoriatic Arthritis, and Ankylosing Spondylitis
- How Do Business Partner Data Breaches Affect Your Practice?