Neurosurgery Procedures & Complications
Hospitalists will likely be increasingly responsible for the co-management of neurosurgical patients and should be familiar with the most common neurosurgical procedures and managing potential medical complications.
II. Identify the Goal Behavior.
III. Describe a Step-by-Step approach/method to this problem.
Step 1: Determine Revised Cardiac Risk Index (RCRI) score
Step 2: Assess patient's functional exercise capacity
Spinal Decompression and Fusion
IV. Common Pitfalls.
Anticoagulation and antiplatelet therapy:
- Discuss with neurosurgeon before starting anything that could increase bleeding risk
Volume management in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhages:
- Balancing risk of vasospasm with cardiopulmonary status
- Titrating BP meds too fast
Long-term steroid use:
- GI prophylaxis, glycemic control, counseling on muscle wasting/confusion/increased bleeding risk
V. National Standards, Core Indicators and Quality Measures.
No national standards/benchmarks established yet.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Replacing Sleep, Sedentary Behavior With Physical Activity Beneficial in Knee Osteoarthritis
- FDA Outlines Plan for New Analgesic Guidance to Combat Opioid Crisis
- The Role of Psychological Factors in Phantom Limb Pain Reviewed
- Rates of Concurrent Opioid, Sedative-Hypnotic Prescription Fills in Veterans
- Ozone vs Corticosteroids May Provide Longer-Lasting Effects for Plantar Fasciitis
- Ketamine: Mechanisms of Action, Uses in Pain Medicine, and Side Effects
- Medicinal Cannabis May Not Have Opioid-Sparing Effects in Chronic Noncancer Pain
- Cannabis May Be Effective for Migraine Treatment
- Chronic Neck Pain: Generators, Clinical Examination, MRI Findings, and Differential Diagnosis
- Integrating Psychological Interventions Into Chronic Pain Management
- Adverse Event Reporting System Effective for Improved Control of Pharmacologic Therapy in Chronic Pain
- Current Guidelines for Management of Low Back Pain
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Radiographic Changes of Osteoarthritis Associated With Persistent Knee Pain
- Physician Specialty Influences Rates of Burnout