1. Peters J, Chien J. Contemporary Routes of Cannabis Consumption: A Primer for Clinicians. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2018 Feb 1;118(2):67-70.
2. Governing the States and Localities. State marijuana laws in 2018 map. Available at: http://www.governing.com/gov-data/safety-justice/state-marijuana-laws-map-medical-recreational.html. Accessed: October 7, 2018.
3. National Institutes of Health. National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). Nationwide Trends. Available at: https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/nationwide-trends. Accessed: October 7, 2018.
4. University of Washington. Alcohol and Drug Abuse Institute. Marijuana use by older adults. Available at: http://learnaboutmarijuanawa.org/factsheets/olderadults.htm. Accessed: October 7, 2018.
5. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSHA). Results from the 2016 National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Available at: https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/NSDUH-DetTabs-2016/NSDUH-DetTabs-2016.pdf. Accessed: October 23, 2018.
6. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSHA). The CBHSQ Report. A day in the life of older adults: substance abuse facts. Available at: https://www.samhsa.gov/data/report/day-life-older-adults-substance-use-facts. Accessed: October 7, 2018.
7. Han BH, Sherman S, Mauro PM, Martins SS, Rotenberg J, Palamar JJ. Demographic trends among older cannabis users in the United States, 2006–13. Addiction. 2017;112(3):516-525.
8. Compton WM, Han B, Hughes A, Jones CM, Blanco C. Use of Marijuana for Medical Purposes Among Adults in the United States. JAMA. 2017 Jan 10;317(2):209-211. doi: 10.1001/jama.2016.18900.
9. Agornyo P, et al. Older adults’ use of medical marijuana for chronic pain: A multi-site community-based survey. Presented at: American Geriatrics Society Annual Meeting; May 3-5, 2018; Orlando, Florida.
10. Bradford AC, Bradford D, Abraham AJ. Association Between US State Medical Cannabis Laws and Opioid Prescribing in the Medicare Part D Population. JAMA Intern Med. April 2018.
11. Wen H, Hockenberry JM. Association of Medical and Adult-Use Marijuana Laws With Opioid Prescribing for Medicaid Enrollees. JAMA Intern Med. 2018 May 1;178(5):673-679.
12. National Council for Aging Care (NCAC). The complete guide to medical marijuana for seniors. Available at: http://www.aging.com/the-complete-guide-to-medical-marijuana-for-seniors/. Accessed: October 20, 2018.
13. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The State of Aging and Health in America, 2013. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/aging/pdf/state-aging-health-in-america-2013.pdf. Accessed: October 19, 2018.
14. Mayo Clinic. Marijuana. Available at: http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/marijuana/interactions/hrb-20059701. Accessed: October 23, 2018.
15. Shrivastava A, Johnston M, Tsuang M. Cannabis use and cognitive dysfunction. Indian J Psychiatry. 2011;53(3):187-91.
16. Lim K, See YM, Lee J. A Systematic Review of the Effectiveness of Medical Cannabis for Psychiatric, Movement and Neurodegenerative Disorders. Clin Psychopharmacol Neurosci. 2017 Nov 30;15(4):301-312.
17. Suryadevara U, Bruijnzeel DM, Nuthi M, Jagnarine DA, Tandon R, Bruijnzeel AW. Pros and Cons of Medical Cannabis use by People with Chronic Brain Disorders. Curr Neuropharmacol. 2017;15(6):800-814.
This article originally appeared on MPR