Generic Name and Formulations:
Altretamine 50mg; caps.
Indications for HEXALEN:
Palliative treatment of persistent or recurrent ovarian cancer following first-line therapy with a cisplatin and/or alkylating agent-based combination.
260mg/m2 daily in four divided doses (after meals and at bedtime), for either 14 or 21 consecutive days in a 28-day cycle. Discontinue for >14 days if GI intolerance is unresponsive to treatment, WBC count <2000/mm3 or granulocyte count <1000/mm3, platelet count <75000/mm3, or progressive neurotoxicity occurs. Restart at 200mg/m2 daily. Discontinue indefinitely if neurologic symptoms fail to stabilize.
Severe myelosuppression or neurologic toxicity, except cisplatin-related neuropathy.
Monitor for myelosuppression (do monthly CBCs) and neurotoxicity. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid pyridoxine. Severe orthostatic hypotension with MAOIs.
Nausea, vomiting, peripheral neuropathy, CNS symptoms (eg, mood disorders, ataxia, dizziness), myelosuppression, renal dysfunction, increased alkaline phosphatase.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis