A simple, easy-to-use checklist, the Guideline Trustworthiness, Relevance, and Utility Scoring Tool (G-TRUST), can identify useful clinical practice guidelines.
The Society for Integrative Oncology has issued an updated clinical practice guideline regarding the use of integrative therapies for specific clinical indications during and after breast cancer treatment.
A multidisciplinary group of international experts has released recommendations for the use of biologics in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
The Sjögren's Syndrome Foundation has released the first clinical practice guidelines for the disease, which includes recommendations on the management of fatigue, inflammatory musculoskeletal pain, and use of biologic agents.
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine announced a new clinical practice guideline for the diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea in adults.
High-risk patients who did not receive guidelines-recommended prophylactic hydration prior to procedures requiring iodinated contrast media had the same rate of contrast-induced nephropathy as patients who received usual care.
EULAR recommendations were updated for rheumatoid arthritis management to include new guidelines on starting effective therapy in patients early.
Virtaj Singh, MD, highlights the successes of the Multi-society Pain Work Group (MPW), which resulted in Medicare modifying its approach to coverage.
The American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP) has issued updated opioid prescribing guidelines for the management of patients with chronic, non-cancer pain.
The authors noted that comparative effectiveness studies to evaluate the incremental benefits and harms of a treat-to-target strategy over a treat-to-avoid-symptoms strategy should be a priority.
The initiatives include guidelines and recommendations for CRNAs, physicians, and policymakers.
Advising patients on strains, explaining limitations
New guidelines for treatment of migraine in the ED seek to reduce opioid prescription.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- FDA Approves Minimally-Invasive, Non-Drug Therapy for Pain Management
- Chronic Migraine and Medication Overuse Headache Linked to Stress
- Set of Personality Traits May Predict Prescription Drug Use, Misuse in Young Adults
- The Opioid Crisis: District by District
- Opioid Administration, Prescribing in the ED on the Decline in Recent Years