Compared with placebo, gabapentin administered pre- and postoperatively may reduce the time to postoperative opioid cessation, but was not shown to improve postoperative pain resolution.
From 2002 to 2015, the percentage of individuals in the United States who used gabapentin and/or pregabalin increased in 1.2% to 3.9%.
Both gabapentin and opioids are commonly prescribed for the treatment of pain, making the likelihood of these two agents being prescribed together high.
The dopaminergic medication rotigotine and the α-2-δ ligands gabapentin enacarbil and pregabalin provide similar treatment effects for patients with restless leg syndrome.
Gabapentinoid use presents significant risk for adverse events and provides few benefits for patients with chronic low back pain.
The use of gabapentin, pregabalin, or both is effective for reducing pruritus and neuropathic pain in burn survivors.
Patients with neuropathic pain are more likely to achieve effective therapeutic dose when treated with pregabalin compared with gabapentin.
Preemptive analgesia seeks to prevent central sensitization and ensuing chronic pain, a concept that has shown promising results in preliminary studies.
Clinicians may be overprescribing gabapentinoids, in part as a response to the opioid epidemic, and prescribing them for almost any type of pain.
Gabapentin, at doses of 1800 mg to 3600 mg can provide "good levels of pain relief" to some individuals suffering from postherpetic neuralgia and peripheral diabetic neuropathy.
In a 3-year period, 45% of patients with trigeminal neuralgia received at least 3 unique treatments.
A number of shortcomings are associated with systematic reviews and meta-analyses of postoperative care.
Though there is no law that says patients must be told that the medications they have been prescribed are for an off-label use, and the FDA does not regulate the practice of medicine, I feel it is important to provide at least a brief explanation to my patients.
Symptoms of diabetic peripheral neuropathy include lower-extremity weakness, in addition to tingling, pain and burning.
Lower cost for pregabalin Tx due to lower use of concomitant medications, fewer primary care visits, and fewer days of sick leave.
A surprising number of patients already prescribed opioids were found to be abusing gabapentin.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Supervised Injection Sites: Facts, Information, Pros, and Cons
- Chronic Pain May Be a Contributing Factor to Suicide
- Striking a Balance Between Opioid Surveillance and Patient Privacy
- Demographic Characteristics of Pregnant Women With Opioid Use Disorder
- Effects of Mindfulness Therapy, Pharmacologic Prophylaxis on Catecholamine Levels in Migraine
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Invasive Procedures for Chronic Back, Knee Pain
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Lower Weighting of Hand Cortical Representations in CRPS
- Predicting Success of Focal Nerve Surgery Based on Diagnostic Block Response
- Aetna-CVS Merger Approved
- FDA Announces Draft Guidance for Consumer OTC Access to Previously Prescription Drugs
- Maryland Legislature: Will Federal Courts Permit State Regulation of Drug Prices?