Generic Name and Formulations:
Fludarabine phosphate 50mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution; preservative-free; contains mannitol.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Fludarabine:
B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) in patients who have not responded to or whose disease progressed during treatment with at least 1 alkylating-agent containing regimen.
Give by IV infusion over 30 minutes. 25mg/m2 daily for 5 days every 28 days. Renal dysfunction (CrCl 30–70mL/min): reduce dose by 20%; CrCl <30mL/min: not recommended. Give for 3 cycles after the max response. Reduce or delay dose if toxicity occurs.
Myelosuppression. Evaluate and monitor for hemolysis. Monitor blood (esp CBC, platelets). Use irradiated blood products if transfusions are required. May need to prophylax for tumor lysis syndrome with large tumors. Renal insufficiency. Delay or stop therapy if neurotoxicity occurs. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Severe pulmonary toxicity with pentostatin (not recommended).
Myelosuppression (severe/cumulative), bone marrow hypoplasia, autoimmune hemolytic anemia (fatal/severe), infection, fever, chills, GI upset, malaise, fatigue, CNS effects (eg, weakness, agitation, confusion, visual disturbances, coma, peripheral neuropathy), pneumonia, pulmonary hypersensitivity (eg, dyspnea, interstitial pulmonary infiltrate), stomatitis, GI bleeding, edema, tumor lysis syndrome, rash, hemorrhagic cystitis (rare); others.
Formerly known under the brand name Fludara.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Reviewing the Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability of Cannabis-Based Medicines for Chronic Neuropathic Pain
- Femoral Nerve Block Alone or in Combination With Sciatic Nerve Block for TKA: A Meta-Analysis
- Tackling the Chronic Pain and Opioid Use Disorder Crises Through Public-Private Partnerships
- How the City of San Francisco Is Tackling the Intertwined HIV/HCV and Opioid Epidemics
- The State of Drug Storage, Disposal Labeling Information for Opioid Analgesics
- Radiofrequency Ablation for Chronic Hip Pain: Reviewing the Evidence
- Opioid Use Disorder Treatment: Evidence-Based Guideline
- Betel Quid Addiction and Implications for Substance Use Disorder
- Low Back Pain: Contributing Factors, Prophylactic Strategies, and Effective Treatments
- Exparel Approved for Use as Interscalene Brachial Plexus Nerve Block
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation May Prevent Migraine in Adolescents
- Widespread Impact of Reducing Opioids, Adding IV Acetaminophen for Postsurgical Pain Management
- GI Safety Compared for NSAIDs in Patients With Arthritis
- Opioid Prescribing Trends in Patients With, Without Cancer
- DOJ Rescinds Protections Afforded by Americans With Disabilities Act