FLAGYL ER Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Metronidazole 750mg; ext rel tabs.
Indications for FLAGYL ER:
Bacterial vaginosis in non-pregnant women.
Swallow whole. Take 1hr before or 2hrs after meals. 750mg once daily for 7 days. Severe hepatic impairment: not recommended. Hemodialysis: consider dose supplementation after session.
Premenarche: not established.
Pregnancy (1st trimester for trichomoniasis). Within 2 weeks of disulfiram (possible psychotic reactions). Concomitant alcohol during or at least 3 days after treatment.
Discontinue if abnormal neurological symptoms occur. Candidiasis. History of blood dyscrasias. Monitor for leukopenia; do CBCs before, during and after therapy. IV: risk of severe/fatal hepatotoxicity in Cockayne Syndrome; obtain LFTs (at baseline, within first 2–3 days after starting, frequently during therapy, and after completion); discontinue if elevated. Hepatic or renal impairment; monitor. Elderly: monitor serum levels. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. May potentiate oral anticoagulants, lithium; monitor. Avoid concomitant busulfan; if needed, adjust busulfan dose and monitor. May be antagonized by phenobarbital, phenytoin, other hepatic enzyme inducers. May impair phenytoin clearance. May be potentiated by cimetidine, other hepatic enzyme inhibitors. IV: may potentiate 5-FU, vecuronium, CYP3A4 substrates (eg, amiodarone, tacrolimus, cyclosporine,carbamazepine, phenytoin, quinidine); monitor. May interfere with serum chemistry tests.
Nausea, headache, anorexia, vomiting, metallic taste, dysuria, cystitis; seizures, encephalopathy, optic/peripheral neuropathy, aseptic meningitis.
Tabs—50, 100; ER—30; Caps 375mg—50
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis