Patients with migraine may exhibit higher prevalence of restless leg syndrome, fibromyalgia, and depressive symptoms compared with individuals not experiencing migraines.
Mirtazapine is a central alpha-2 antagonist currently FDA-approved for the treatment of major depressive disorder.
Providing guidance to improve dietary behavior, which may include supplementation to achieve an optimal nutritional status, can contribute to improved control of fibromyalgia symptoms.
Fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, sciatic syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, and moderate depression may be more prevalent in working-age individuals with vs without migraine.
Pain catastrophizing may be associated with a reduced ability to effectively distract the mind from pain in patients with fibromyalgia.
Improvement in fibromyalgia impact questionnaire scores was greater for combined tai chi groups.
Researchers sought to confirm whether concomitant fibromyalgia has a negative effect on TNF blocker response.
A new blood test called IsolateFibromyalgia, which uses RNA data to identify fibromyalgia, has been released by IQuity.
A group acupuncture program may represent a safe, tolerated and effective management strategy for women with fibromyalgia by providing greater improvement in global symptom impact, pain, and fatigue compared with education.
Researchers reviewed evidence relating to the benefits and harms of cranial electrical stimulation for adults with chronic painful conditions, depression, anxiety, and insomnia.
Weight loss may result in improved pain, symptom severity, depression, and fibromyalgia scores in patients with obesity.
Fibromyalgia — which affects an estimated 4% to 10% of the US population, with a 7-time higher prevalence in women vs men — has remained a clinically nebulous entity, and one that is very difficult to manage effectively.
Adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder frequently co-occurs with fibromyalgia syndrome and may negatively affect FMS-related morbidity.
The use of pregabalin alone vs pregabalin plus opioids or opioids alone may result in more favorable outcomes in terms of pain interference and pain severity in patients with fibromyalgia.
Achilles tendon pressuring and inquiry about "persistent deep aching pain over most of [the] body" may effectively screen for fibromyalgia in patients with chronic pain.
Connective tissue massage combined with exercise was shown to reduce fibromyalgia-associated symptoms and to improve quality of life.
Caffeine is associated with lower pain catastrophizing, greater physical function, and lower pain interference in patients taking opioids to manage fibromyalgia pain.
In patients with concomitant fibromyalgia and PTSD, opioid therapy was shown to improve quality of life and help patients return to a greater sense of "normalcy."
Women with fibromyalgia and chronic widespread pain had elevated levels of childhood adversity, including sexual and emotional abuse.
For patients with chronic fatigue syndrome/fibromyalgia or rheumatoid arthritis, morphine has anti-hyperalgesic effects comparable with placebo.
Pressure pain sensitivity is differentially linked to response to sham vs verum acupuncture in patients with fibromyalgia.
Researchers identified characteristics associated with pain improvement in patients with fibromyalgia who take antidepressant medications.
Transcranial random noise stimulation was shown to alleviate fibromyalgia-associated symptoms.
This is especially important given that patients with fibromyalgia have difficulty attending treatment sessions in person.
These findings highlight an urgent need to produce more evidence on the risks and benefits of off-label antidepressant use.
The US FDA is warning physicians and patients for the second time to be aware of an experimental procedure that is being promoted as a treatment in autonomic dysfunction.
Novel psychosocial therapies such as cognitive behavioral therapy that have been effective in adults with fibromyalgia need additional neuromuscular fitness training to overcome catastrophizing and fear of exercise in adolescents.
There were clinically significant improvement in various items from the Symptom Checklist-90-R.
Patients with fibromyalgia syndrome have high prevalence of anti-TSH receptor antibody.
"Exercise-based motivational interviewing was associated with sustained clinical benefits 6 months after completion of therapy, but only for those who were not taking opioids."
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Cannabis Use High in Migraine
- Sustained-Release Sodium Nitrite for Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Not Associated With Headaches
- Percutaneous Electrolysis May Be Useful Adjunct for Subacromial Pain Syndrome
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use
- Deaths After Nonfatal Opioid Overdose: Causes and Risk Factors
- Targeted Educational Intervention Helped Reduce Opioid Exposure in Adult Inpatients
- Systematic Cross-Checking May Reduce Medical Errors in Emergency Departments
- Corticosteroid Plus Lidocaine Injections Do Not Alleviate Pain in Central Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
- Tofacitinib May Effectively Alleviate Pain in RA, Psoriatic Arthritis, and Ankylosing Spondylitis