Generic Name and Formulations:
Deferiprone 500mg; scored tabs.
ApoPharma USA Inc.
Indications for FERRIPROX:
Treatment of transfusional iron overload due to thalassemia syndromes when current chelation therapy is inadequate.
Limitations Of use:
Not for use in treating other chronic anemias.
Individualize. Initially 25mg/kg three times daily (total dose 75mg/kg/day). Max: 33mg/kg three times daily (total dose 99mg/kg/day). Round dose to the nearest 250mg (half-tablet). Adjust dose to individual response and therapeutic goals. Consider temporary dose interruption if serum ferritin falls consistently <500mcg/L.
Risk of neutropenia or fatal agranulocytosis. Measure ANC before starting therapy and monitor weekly during. Interrupt therapy if infection or neutropenia develops (ANC <1.5×109/L). If neutropenia occurs, obtain CBCs, WBCs, ANC, and platelets daily until recovery (ANC ≥1.5×109/L). Monitor serum ALT monthly; consider interruption if persistent increase in transaminase levels. Monitor serum ferritin every 2–3 months. Monitor plasma zinc, supplement if deficient. Severe hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Iron chelating agent.
Avoid concomitant use with other drugs associated with neutropenia or agranulocytosis. Allow at least 4-hour interval with antacids or mineral supplements containing polyvalent cations (eg, iron, aluminum, zinc). Concomitant UGT 1A6 inhibitors: closely monitor and may need dose adjustments or interruptions.
Chromaturia, GI upset, abdominal pain, increased ALT, arthralgia, neutropenia; agranulocytosis.
This product is available from Dohmen Life Science Services. Dohmen Life Science Services is the sole distributor of Ferriprox in the U.S.
For more information, contact Ferriprox Total Care at (866) 758-7071.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Predictors of Opioid Overdose in High-Risk Users
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer