Once thought of as psychogenic in etiology, researchers are gaining a better understanding the neural mechanisms of phantom pain.
It is not hard to understand that pain can make sleep difficult, but how does sleep disturbance drive pain sensitivity?
Treating this neuropathic pain condition can be complicated because of polypharmacy, drug dosing schedules, adverse events, drug-drug interactions, and patient comorbidities.
The Institute of Medicine has estimated that chronic pain affects approximately 100 million adults in the United States, with an estimated annual cost of up to $635 billion.
Developing drugs that selectively block specific sodium channels could be the holy grail of neuropathic pain treatment.
In this feature, Clinical Pain Advisor explores the the roots of the current heroin epidemic facing the United States, and how chronic pain patients prescribed opioids are affected by it.
Oral malignancies can be associated with increased pain, but current research suggests that a cannabis-based medication may reduce this morbidity.
More than $1 billion worth of OTC therapeutic magnets have been sold worldwide to date, but are they useful for muscle pain?
Sometimes patients complaining of chronic pain are drug seeking, but isn't addiction a form of pain as well?
Research on the relationship between footwear, injury and subsequent pain rates is limited. A switch to a minimalist shoe or barefoot running should be done gradually.
It may be difficult to quantify pain in a patient with a psychiatric disorder.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Opioid Use in Chronic Low Back Pain: A Population Study
- Risks Associated With Co-Administration of Aspirin and Other NSAIDs
- Stages of Low Back Pain Have Specific Sets of Clinical Indicators
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- First Non-Opioid Drug Approved for Managing Opioid Withdrawal Symptoms
- Effect of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs on Fatal, Nonfatal Drug Overdoses
- Standardized SCS Workflow May Effectively Alleviate Failed Back Surgery Syndrome-Related Pain
- Marijuana Legalization and Opioid Prescribing Rates
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Interbrain Coupling During Handholding Associated With Analgesia, Empathy
- Opioid-Related Adverse Drug Events Associated With Worse Patient, Cost Outcomes
- Education Plus Exercise, Single Corticosteroid Injection Effective in Long Term for Gluteal Tendinopathy
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Naloxone Training Beneficial for PA Students
- Supervised Injection Sites Hailed as the Latest Strategy to Fight the Opioid Crisis