Once thought of as psychogenic in etiology, researchers are gaining a better understanding the neural mechanisms of phantom pain.
It is not hard to understand that pain can make sleep difficult, but how does sleep disturbance drive pain sensitivity?
Treating this neuropathic pain condition can be complicated because of polypharmacy, drug dosing schedules, adverse events, drug-drug interactions, and patient comorbidities.
The Institute of Medicine has estimated that chronic pain affects approximately 100 million adults in the United States, with an estimated annual cost of up to $635 billion.
Developing drugs that selectively block specific sodium channels could be the holy grail of neuropathic pain treatment.
In this feature, Clinical Pain Advisor explores the the roots of the current heroin epidemic facing the United States, and how chronic pain patients prescribed opioids are affected by it.
Oral malignancies can be associated with increased pain, but current research suggests that a cannabis-based medication may reduce this morbidity.
More than $1 billion worth of OTC therapeutic magnets have been sold worldwide to date, but are they useful for muscle pain?
Sometimes patients complaining of chronic pain are drug seeking, but isn't addiction a form of pain as well?
Research on the relationship between footwear, injury and subsequent pain rates is limited. A switch to a minimalist shoe or barefoot running should be done gradually.
It may be difficult to quantify pain in a patient with a psychiatric disorder.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Operant Learning May Provide More Benefits Than Energy Conservation in Fibromyalgia
- Predicting the Magnitude of Placebo Analgesia in Chronic Pain
- Methamphetamine Use on the Rise in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Examining the Efficacy of Different Oxygen Flow Rates for Cluster Headache Attacks
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Half of the Responders to Our Poll Agree With the Approval of Dsuvia: We Want to Hear From You
- Daily Alcohol Use May Drive Chronic Pain in Adults With HIV
- Tools to Address the Opioid Crisis
- AHA/ACC Release Updated Guidelines for Cholesterol Management
- Women Fed Soy Formula as Infants More Likely to Experience Menstrual Pain