Famotidine Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Famotidine 10mg/mL; soln for IV inj or infusion after dilution; multidose vials contain benzyl alcohol.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Famotidine Injection :
Hospitalized patients with pathological hypersecretory conditions, intractable ulcers, or as a short-term alternative to oral dosage forms.
Give by IV inj over 2 mins or infuse over 15–30 mins. 20mg every 12hrs.
See full labeling. Give by IV inj over 2 mins or infuse over 15 mins. <1yr: not recommended. 1–16yrs: initially 0.25mg/kg every 12hrs; max 40mg/day.
Symptomatic response does not preclude gastric malignancy. Moderate-to-severe renal insufficiency (CrCl <50mL/min): reduce to ½ the dose or prolong dosing interval to 36–48hrs. Elderly: use low doses. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant dasatinib, delavirdine mesylate, cefditoren, fosamprenavir: not recommended. May alter absorption of pH-dependent drugs (eg, atazanavir, erlotinib, ketoconazole, itraconazole, ledipasvir/sofosbuvir, nilotinib, rilpivirine). May potentiate CYP1A2 substrates (eg, tizanidine); monitor if use is needed. May give antacids concomitantly.
Headache, dizziness, constipation, diarrhea, inj site reactions; rare: CNS reactions, prolonged QT interval in renal impairment (moderate and severe).
Formerly known under the brand name Pepcid Injection.
Tabs—30, 100; Susp—50mL; Inj—contact supplier
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis