Etoposide Capsules Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Etoposide 50mg; contain parabens.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Etoposide Capsules:
Small cell lung cancer.
Round dose to nearest 50mg increment. Range: 70mg/m2 per day for 4 days to 100mg/m2 per day for 5 days. Repeat course every 3 to 4 weeks after recovery (esp myelosuppression). Renal impairment (CrCl ≤50mL/min): reduce dose (see literature). Consider dose reduction with existing myelosuppression due to previous radiation or chemotherapy.
Monitor blood (esp CBC/differential, platelets, hemoglobin) before each cycle and during therapy; renal function. Withhold dose if platelet count <50,000/mm3 or ANC <500/mm3. Hypoalbuminemia. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D); nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by cyclosporine. Additive toxicity with radiation, other cytotoxic therapies.
GI upset, mucositis, myelosuppression (esp. neutropenia, thrombocytopenia; may be fatal), alopecia, fever, infections, peripheral neurotoxicity; hypersensitivity reactions, acute leukemia (rare); others.
Formerly known under the brand name VePesid.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Opioid Use Disorders: Advances in Pharmacotherapy Provide Long-term Results
- Abuse-Deterrent Opioid Formulations: Barriers to Broader Use
- Women Frequently Prescribed High Doses of Opioids After Vaginal Delivery
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Medical Cannabis Legalization Associated With Reduced Schedule III Opioid Prescriptions
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- FDA Taps Social Media to Identify and Assess Emerging Drug Abuse Threats
- Buffered Lidocaine May Be Superior to Nonbuffered Lidocaine for Inferior Alveolar Nerve Block
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Marijuana's Uncertain Status: Closing the Gap Between State and Federal Policies