Generic Name and Formulations:
Levonorgestrel 0.05mg, ethinyl estradiol 30mcg (6 tabs); levonorgestrel 0.075mg, ethinyl estradiol 40mcg (5 tabs); levonorgestrel 0.125mg, ethinyl estradiol 30mcg (10 tabs); inert (7 tabs).
Indications for ENPRESSE:
1 tab daily for 28 days; repeat.
Thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders. Cerebral vascular or coronary artery disease. Breast or other estrogen-dependent neoplasms. Undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding. Cholestatic jaundice of pregnancy or jaundice with prior OC use. Hepatic adenoma or carcinoma. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Smokers over 35yrs of age: not recommended. Uncontrolled hypertension. Hypertriglyceridemia. Discontinue if jaundice, visual disturbances, migraine or other severe headaches occur. Do regular complete physical exams. May need barrier contraception with Sunday starts or postpartum use (see literature). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Progestin + estrogen.
Antagonized by hepatic enzyme inducing drugs (eg, rifampin, griseofulvin, St. John's wort), possibly others. May affect measurement of sex hormone-binding globulin levels.
Hypertension, nausea, vomiting, breakthrough bleeding, amenorrhea, transient delay of ovulation after discontinuation, edema, chloasma, mastodynia, headache, intolerance to contact lenses. Increased risk of gallbladder disease, thromboembolic disorders.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis