Interbrain coupling of areas implicated in pain processing may be enhanced when romantic partners hold hands while 1 of the 2 is subjected to pain.
One physician reflects on the importance of strengthening the relationship between you and your patient, and why it matters.
A physician reflects on the fine line between creating intimacy with your patient and shielding yourself from getting too close to each and every case.
A primary care physician reflects on the advice he has provided patients over the years.
Different paths to perspective of another's experience are associated with varying effect on helpers' health during helping behavior.
Compassion directed to self is gaining acceptance as a potential therapeutic modality to complement existing treatment options for chronic pain.
Oxytocin replacement therapy could improve the well-being of people with low levels of the hormone.
Dr Buse said that in her practice, patients with chronic pain often report feeling isolated and misunderstood, and that others believe they are exaggerating their pain or somehow using it to their benefit.
Dr Bushnell suggests practicing yoga, as long-term yogis have higher pain tolerance and increased gray matter—including in pain-modulating brain areas—compared with that of non-practitioners.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Opioid Use in Chronic Low Back Pain: A Population Study
- Risks Associated With Co-Administration of Aspirin and Other NSAIDs
- Stages of Low Back Pain Have Specific Sets of Clinical Indicators
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- First Non-Opioid Drug Approved for Managing Opioid Withdrawal Symptoms
- Effect of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs on Fatal, Nonfatal Drug Overdoses
- Standardized SCS Workflow May Effectively Alleviate Failed Back Surgery Syndrome-Related Pain
- Marijuana Legalization and Opioid Prescribing Rates
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Interbrain Coupling During Handholding Associated With Analgesia, Empathy
- Opioid-Related Adverse Drug Events Associated With Worse Patient, Cost Outcomes
- Education Plus Exercise, Single Corticosteroid Injection Effective in Long Term for Gluteal Tendinopathy
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Naloxone Training Beneficial for PA Students
- Supervised Injection Sites Hailed as the Latest Strategy to Fight the Opioid Crisis