Generic Name and Formulations:
Estramustine phosphate sodium (prodrug of estradiol) 140mg; caps.
Indications for EMCYT:
Palliative of metastatic, progressive prostate cancer.
Take 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. 14mg/kg in 3 or 4 divided doses; reevaluate after 30 to 90 days. Continue as long as favorable response maintained.
Active thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders (except when tumor mass caused by thromboembolic phenomenon). Allergy to estradiol, nitrogen mustard.
History of thrombophlebitis, thrombosis, thromboembolic disorders. Cerebro- or cardiovascular disease. Diabetes. Hypertension. Conditions aggravated by fluid retention. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Monitor bilirubin and hepatic enzymes during and for 2 months after treatment is discontinued. Metabolic bone diseases associated with hypercalcemia. Use effective contraception.
Absorption impaired by calcium.
Edema, dyspnea, leg cramps; nausea, diarrhea, GI upset; pruritus, dry skin, easy bruising; breast tenderness and enlargement; lethargy, emotional lability, insomnia; leucopenia; abnormal bilirubin, LDH, SGOT. Thrombosis, MI.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Predictors of Opioid Overdose in High-Risk Users
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer