Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentosan polysulfate sodium 100mg; caps.
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for ELMIRON:
Bladder pain/discomfort due to interstitial cystitis.
Take with water 1 hr before or 2 hrs after meals. ≥16yrs: 100mg 3 times daily. Reevaluate at 3 and 6 months.
<16yrs: not recommended.
Bleeding or risk of bleeding (eg, surgery, aneurysm, GI ulcer, polyps). History of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Hepatic insufficiency. Splenic disorders. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Caution with drugs that increase bleeding risk (eg, anticoagulants, tPA, aspirin, NSAIDs).
Alopecia, GI upset, headache, rash, abdominal pain, hepatic dysfunction, dizziness, increased prothrombin time, hemorrhage.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Manual Therapy vs Opioids for Management of Shoulder, Spine Pain
- Opioids: Clinician Concern and Prescribing Practices
- Screening for Hyperglycemia Prior to Steroid Injections for Chronic Pain
- Ensuring Safety During Long-Term Opioid Therapy
- Intervention by Pharmacists May Effectively Reduce Use of Inappropriate Medications in the Elderly
- Serum Vitamin D Levels and Risk for Migraine
- Rimegepant Orally Dissolving Formulation Provides Rapid Relief From Acute Migraine
- Updated Evidence-Based Recommendations for Buprenorphine Treatment
- Business Degree Increasingly Useful for Doctors
- PainDETECT May Not Be Optimal to Detect Neuropathic Components of Orofacial Pain
- Kinesiophobia May Be Associated With Greater Cutaneous Allodynia in Migraine
- CDC: 8.8% of Individuals in the United States Uninsured in First Half of 2018
- Patient Experiences Shed Light on Diagnostic Errors
- Topical Migraine Trigger Point Treatment as Effective as Injection
- Wikipedia in Medical Education: An Educator's Guide to Crowdsourcing