Generic Name and Formulations:
Ulipristal acetate 30mg; tab.
Indications for ELLA:
Prevention of pregnancy following unprotected intercourse or known or suspected contraceptive failure. Not for use as regular contraceptive.
Take 1 tab as soon as possible within 120hrs (5 days) after unprotected intercourse or contraceptive failure. May repeat dose if vomiting occurs within 3hrs.
Premenarchal: not applicable.
Not for termination of an existing pregnancy. Exclude pregnancy before prescribing. Rule out ectopic pregnancy if lower abdominal pain occurs. Rule out pregnancy if subsequent menses delayed by >1 week. Does not protect against HIV or other STDs. Repeat use within same menstrual cycle: not recommended. Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant CYP3A4 inducers (eg, barbiturates, bosentan, carbamazepine, felbamate, griseofulvin, oxcarbazepine, phenytoin, rifampin, topiramate, St. John's wort). Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole). May antagonize regular hormonal contraceptives; use barrier contraception for remainder of menstrual cycle and resume oral contraceptives ≥5 days after dose.
Headache, abdominal pain, nausea, dysmenorrhea, fatigue, dizziness; menstrual cycle changes.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- Predicting Pain Chronicization After Spine Surgery
- Chronic Low Back Pain Levels Vary Between Sex and Race
- FDA Approval of Medication With a Digital Monitoring System: Major Breakthrough or "Brave New World"?
- Errors in Clinical Notes Generated by Speech Recognition Are Not Uncommon
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?