ELIGEN B12 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cyanocobalamin 1000mcg, salcaprozate sodium 100mg; tabs.
Indications for ELIGEN B12:
Dietary management of patients with Vit. B12 deficiency that cannot be managed by a modification of the normal diet alone (eg, pernicious anemia, malabsorption of Vit. B12, others).
Take on empty stomach (at least 1hr before a meal) with water. ≥18yrs: initially 1 tab daily; may adjust up to max 2 tabs daily.
<18yrs: not established.
Sensitivity to cobalt. Hereditary optic nerve atrophy (Leber's disease).
Confirm diagnosis. Risk of hypokalemia and sudden death in severe megaloblastic anemia. Infection, uremia, and iron or folic acid deficiency may reduce response. May unmask polycythemia vera. Obtain hematocrit, reticulocyte count, Vit. B12, folate, iron levels prior to treatment. May need supplemental folate. Reevaluate if low levels of Vit. B12 persist despite treatment. Monitor B12 blood levels 1 month after starting therapy, 1 month after any dose increase, and regularly at 3–6 month intervals. Monitor serum potassium, platelet counts. Pregnancy.
Antibiotics, methotrexate, pyrimethamine may interfere with lab tests. Colchicine, para-aminosalicylic acid, chronic heavy alcohol use may impair Vit. B12 absorption; may need to adjust dose. Reduced response with bone marrow suppressants (eg, chloramphenicol).
Pulmonary edema, CHF, peripheral vascular thrombosis, polycythemia vera, mild transient diarrhea, itching, transitory exanthema, body swelling, possible anaphylactic shock and death.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis