Generic Name and Formulations:
Ethacrynic acid 25mg; scored tabs.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for EDECRIN:
Treatment of edema when greater diuretic potential is required.
Initially 50–100mg daily; adjust in 25–50mg increments. Usual maintenance: 50–200mg daily or intermittently.
See Contraindications. Initially 25mg; adjust gradually in 25mg increments (see literature).
Anuria. Infants. If severe, watery diarrhea occurs, discontinue use and do not restart.
Renal impairment. Hepatic cirrhosis. Monitor weight, renal function, electrolytes, CO2, BUN. Potassium supplementation may be needed. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Digitalis, lithium toxicity. May alter excretion of lithium. Potentiates warfarin. Antagonized by NSAIDs. Orthostatic hypotension with antihypertensives. Ototoxicity with aminoglycosides, other ototoxic agents. May alter glucose tolerance tests.
GI upset, anorexia, malaise, abdominal pain, dysphagia, ototoxicity, vertigo, headache, rash, electrolyte imbalance, hyperuricemia, gout, hyperglycemia; rare: agranulocytosis, severe neutropenia, thrombocytopenia.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Predictors of Opioid Overdose in High-Risk Users
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer