Generic Name and Formulations:
Triamterene 50mg, 100mg; caps.
WellSpring Pharmaceuticals, Corp.
Indications for DYRENIUM:
Take after meals. Initially 100mg twice daily; max 300mg daily.
Concomitant K+ supplements, K+-sparing diuretics, salt substitutes. Hyperkalemia. Anuria. Renal impairment. Severe hepatic disease.
Diabetes. Severely ill. Acidosis predisposition. Electrolyte imbalance. History of renal stones. Gout. Hepatic impairment. Monitor blood, electrolytes, hepatic and renal function frequently. Discontinue if serum potassium >5.5mEq/L or renal values progress. ECG changes or arrhythmias require prompt treatment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Diuretic (K+ sparing).
Avoid K+-sparing diuretics, K+ supplements, and K+ containing salt substitutes. Lithium toxicity. Hyperkalemia more likely with ACE inhibitors. Hyponatremia with sulfonylureas. Acute renal failure with NSAIDs. Adjust antidiabetic medications. Potentiates antihypertensives, nondepolarizing muscle relaxants, anesthetics.
Rarely: anaphylaxis, rash, photosensitivity, hyper- or hypokalemia, azotemia, renal stones, acute interstitial nephritis, jaundice, GI upset, electrolyte disturbances, blood dyscrasias, weakness, fatigue, dizziness, dry mouth.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis