Generic Name and Formulations:
Entacapone 200mg; tabs.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for COMTAN:
Adjunct to levodopa/ carbidopa in patients with idiopathic Parkinson's disease and end-of-dose wearing off.
200mg with each dose of levodopa/carbidopa, up to 8 times daily.
Dyskinesias. Pre-existing somnolence or sleep disorders. Major psychotic disorder: not recommended. Impulse control disorders; consider dose reduction or discontinue if occurs. Perform skin exams to monitor for melanoma. Discontinue if prolonged diarrhea suspected. Hepatic impairment. Biliary obstruction. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Nonselective MAOIs: not recommended. Consider reducing levodopa dose. Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Chelates iron. Cardiac effects with drugs metabolized by COMT (eg, epinephrine, isoproterenol, norepinephrine, dopamine, dobutamine, methyldopa, apomorphine, isoetherine, bitolterol). Caution with drugs that interfere with biliary excretion, glucuronidation, intestinal beta-glucuronidase (eg, probenecid, cholestyramine, erythromycin, rifampicin, ampicillin, chloramphenicol). Monitor INR with warfarin. Reduced efficacy with some antipsychotics.
Dyskinesia, nausea, urine discoloration, hyperkinesia, diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, dry mouth, back pain, dyspnea, somnolence, anxiety, sweating, purpura, asthenia, taste perversion; rarely: orthostatic hypotension, syncope, hallucinations, rhabdomyolysis, hyperpyrexia and confusion upon withdrawal.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis