Complementary & Alternative Medicine
Dispositional mindfulness may help reduce the risk for opioid misuse in patients with chronic pain by attenuating opioid craving and directing attention to naturally rewarding stimuli.
Improving the ability to communicate about pain may help reduce the negative effects associated with ambivalence over emotional expression on pain catastrophizing in patients with osteoarthritis pain.
Warm showers and perineal exercises may be effective for reducing the pain associated with childbirth.
One physician shares his thoughts on the importance of balancing autonomy, beneficence, and nonmaleficence when prescribing opioids to patients.
Acupuncture may represent an effective adjuvant therapy in the management of joint pain associated with aromatase inhibitor treatment in postmenopausal women with breast cancer.
Pharmacologic-only approaches to the management of chronic pain seldom provide complete/adequate pain relief and experts advocate for an integrative approach to the management of chronic pain.
The HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Disease Society of America recommends that people living with HIV be screened for pain and offered both nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic treatment options.
Dr Witzeman focused on integrative modalities for the treatment of female chronic pelvic pain.
Acupuncture is a safe and effective alternative to pain medications for some emergency department patients.
While some CAM products have shown beneficial effects for migraine treatment, previous studies have not explored reasons for using CAM and the types of CAM used.
Laughter provides numerous quantifiable benefits by improving one's physiology, psychology, and general quality of life, thus positing laughter as a valuable complementary medicine option for both disease prevention and treatment.
In states where marijuana is legalized for medicinal purposes, Medicare's prescription drug benefit program has lowered its spending due to reduced prescription drug use.
Researchers suggest 300 minutes weekly of activities such as walking or gardening.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has warning consumers to not buy or use GC Natural's Pyrola Advanced Joint Formula, an herbal supplement marketed for joint pain.
Dose-response association noted with increased fracture rates for intake below five servings/day.
Those who followed it lost average of 15 pounds, had improved blood flow to feet.
Study suggests improved coping for those whose loved ones had end-of-life care.
NeuroMetrix announced the launch of the Quell device for the treatment of chronic pain in patients with conditions such as diabetic nerve pain, low back and leg pain, fibromyalgia, and osteoarthritis pain.
Physical activity and fitness seem to have a positive effect on both the mental and physical characteristics of chronic pain.
Psychological benefits for children, plus lower medical bills.
Imaging studies in multiple types of chronic pain patients show their brains differ from healthy control subjects.
Less pain, analgesic drug consumption for children treated with acupuncture, standard analgesics.
Reductions in pain, pain-related bothersomeness with meditation versus exercise control.
Yoga practice and fish oil use up, some other supplement use down
Moderate/severe pain was reported by 41% of patients prior to receiving acupuncture and by 15% after acupuncture.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Tools to Address the Opioid Crisis
- Methamphetamine Use on the Rise in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Operant Learning May Provide More Benefits Than Energy Conservation in Fibromyalgia
- Half of the Responders to Our Poll Agree With the Approval of Dsuvia: We Want to Hear From You
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- FDA Panel Votes in Favor of Abuse-Deterrent Oxycodone Reformulation
- FDA Proposes New Restrictions on Sale of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
- Central Sensitization in Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome
- Pain Acceptance May Reduce Headache-Related Disability in Migraine
- FDA Issues Safety Alert Regarding Intrathecal Delivery of Pain Meds