Generic Name and Formulations:
Cilostazol 50mg, 100mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cilostazol:
100mg twice daily, ½ hr before or 2 hrs after breakfast and dinner. May reduce to 50mg twice daily if used with CYP3A4 or CYP2C19 inhibitors.
Heart failure of any severity.
Contraindicated in heart failure patients.
Risk of tachycardia, palpitation, tachyarrhythmia, or hypotension. Risk of exacerbations of angina pectoris or MI in patients with history of ischemic heart disease. LV outflow tract obstruction: monitor for development of a new systolic murmur or cardiac symptoms. Monitor platelets and WBC periodically. Avoid use in hemostatic disorders or active pathologic bleeding. Moderate-to-severe hepatic impairment. Severe renal impairment. Dialysis. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Phosphodiesterase 3 (PDE3) inhibitor.
Potentiated by drugs that inhibit CYP3A4 (eg, azole antifungals, macrolides, diltiazem, protease inhibitors) or CYP2C19 (eg, omeprazole, fluconazole, fluoxetine, ticlopidine). Avoid grapefruit juice. Cilostazol has been used with aspirin; caution with other antiplatelets, anticoagulants.
Headache, diarrhea, abnormal stools, palpitations, peripheral edema, dizziness, pharyngitis, infection, tachycardia; rare: thrombocytopenia, leukopenia.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis