Generic Name and Formulations:
Chlorzoxazone 375mg, 750mg+; tabs; +scored.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Chlorzoxazone:
As adjunct to rest, physical therapy, and other measures in acute, painful musculoskeletal conditions.
375mg: 1 tab 3–4 times daily; may increase to 2 tabs (750mg) 3–4 times daily if inadequate response. 750mg: ⅓ tab (250mg) 3–4 times daily. Painful musculoskeletal conditions: initially ⅔ tab (500mg) 3–4 times daily; may increase to 1 tab (750mg) 3–4 times daily if inadequate response. May reduce dose based on improvement.
Known drug intolerance.
Monitor for hepatotoxicity; discontinue if hepatic dysfunction or abnormal liver enzymes develop. Known allergies or history of. Discontinue if sensitivity reaction occurs. Pregnancy.
Muscle relaxant (central).
Additive effects with concomitant alcohol, other CNS depressants.
Drowsiness, dizziness, lightheadedness, malaise, overstimulation; rare: skin rash, petechiae, ecchymosis, fatal hepatocellular toxicity.
Formerly known under the brand name Lorzone, Paraflex.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis