Standing orders for naloxone allow it to be dispensed to laypeople without a patient-specific prescription.
The latest government data show that prescription opioids and heroin lead the increase.
This low rate of use in rheumatology patients is in stark contrast to the high rates of severe arthritis frequently reported by medicinal marijuana users.
While many organizations have created plans in an attempt to curb the opioid epidemic, how can we know which plans will work?
Compared with other opioids, oxycodone/naloxone may improve patients' ability to participate in physiotherapy.
Daily cannabis use nearly doubled between 2002 and 2014, and fewer people perceive the drug as harmful.
Non-medical use of prescription opioid medications is a significant risk factor for heroin use among United States veterans.
The COR-12 treatment program includes group therapy and lectures that focus on opioid addiction, as well as 2 extended medication assistance options.
Researchers hypothesize that communicating opioid addiction risks to patients using real-life narratives could be effective and low-cost.
Pain management questions from patient satisfaction surveys have been used to influence Medicare reimbursement rates and have resulted in unintended consequences in light of the nation's opioid epidemic.
Web forum discussions have seen a notable increase in concerns of loperamide abuse.
This week, an FDA committee of outside experts will meet to review risk-management plans in an effort to reduce opioids misuse.
Several patients were noted to have taken the counterfeit drug in California.
New research suggests that reducing length of treatment and hospitalization in infants diagnosed with drug withdrawal symptoms at birth can be made possible by standardizing hospital care policies across institutions.
The ASA has announced the creation of its Ad Hoc Committee on Prescription Opioid Abuse to help address the country's growing epidemic.
Genome-wide association ID'd three independent regions with single nucleotide polymorphisms.
Lower rate of relapse compared with usual treatment in trial involving criminal justice offenders.
President Barack Obama will announce new public and private initiatives directed at curbing opioid abuse across the country.
Researchers found the importance of intense behavioral health follow-up to reduce the occurrence of neonatal abstinence syndrome.
Pot-related poison control calls and hospital discharges spike with wider availability.
New research reviews nationwide patterns of painkiller prescribing following surgical tooth extraction.
New research suggests that more upstate New Yorkers with back pain are undergoing surgery and taking prescription opioids, despite the availability of noninvasive treatments.
The CDC has issued guidelines for primary care providers who prescribe opioids for chronic pain.
CMS suppression of claims linked to immediate decline in inpatient rates of related comorbidities.
Does your pain clinic currently allow the use of cannabis in combination with opioid medication? If so, has a maximum THC threshold been identified? How have your patients responded to such treatment?
Are we overestimating the efficacy of step III analgesics?
After legalization, pot-related ER visits increased faster for visitors than for Colorado residents.
The $1.1 billion figure is on top of the $400 million already included in the December budget agreement.
New educational programs are helping curb opioid abuse, but additional measures are needed to solve the epidemic.
There is a new online-based medication management option designed to assist clinicians prescribing opioids with spotting and monitoring overprescribing.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Replacing Sleep, Sedentary Behavior With Physical Activity Beneficial in Knee Osteoarthritis
- FDA Outlines Plan for New Analgesic Guidance to Combat Opioid Crisis
- Rheumatologist-Assessed vs Criteria for Inflammatory Back Pain in Psoriatic Arthritis
- Rates of Concurrent Opioid, Sedative-Hypnotic Prescription Fills in Veterans
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Ketamine: Mechanisms of Action, Uses in Pain Medicine, and Side Effects
- Medicinal Cannabis May Not Have Opioid-Sparing Effects in Chronic Noncancer Pain
- Cannabis May Be Effective for Migraine Treatment
- Chronic Neck Pain: Generators, Clinical Examination, MRI Findings, and Differential Diagnosis
- Should Drug Testing Be Implemented Before Prescribing Opioids and Benzodiazepines?
- Dexmedetomidine May Prolong Analgesia Duration in Nerve Blocks
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Intrathecal Morphine, Ziconotide for Cancer- and Noncancer Chronic Pain
- Cochrane Data Release and the Case for Open Science
- Pretreatment With Sumatriptan Can Reduce Cilostazol-Induced Headaches
- Effects of Pain, Depression, and Insomnia on Health Care Use in Older Adults With Osteoarthritis