Generic Name and Formulations:
Diltiazem HCl 30mg, 60mg+, 90mg+, 120mg+; tabs; +scored.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for CARDIZEM:
Vasospastic and chronic stable angina.
Swallow whole. 30mg 4 times daily before meals and at bedtime. May increase gradually every 1–2 days; max 360mg/day in divided doses. Concomitant simvastatin: max 240mg/day.
Sick sinus syndrome, 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block unless paced. Hypotension. Acute MI and pulmonary congestion documented by X-ray on admission.
CHF. Renal or hepatic impairment (monitor). Discontinue if persistent rash occurs. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) (benzothiazepine).
Concomitant ivabradine, rifampin, alcohol: avoid. Caution with digoxin, β-blockers, others that may affect cardiac conduction (may lead to AV block). Monitor heart rate with concomitant clonidine. Potentiates propranolol, benzodiazepines, buspirone, cyclosporine, carbamazepine, quinidine, lovastatin, simvastatin (limit to max 10mg/day); monitor. Caution with CYP3A4 substrates, inhibitors (eg, cimetidine), or inducers. Anesthetics may potentiate cardiac depression.
Edema, headache, fatigue, dizziness, asthenia, 1st-degree AV block, bradycardia, rash (may be serious); rare: hypotension, liver abnormalities.
LA tabs—30, 90; CD 120mg, 180mg, 240mg, 300mg—30, 90; CD 360mg—90; Tabs 30mg—100, 500; 60mg, 90mg, 120mg—100
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- OnabotulinumtoxinA May Be Effective for Chronic Migraine With Medication Overuse
- FDA Outlines Plan for Increasing Nonprescription Drug Availability
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Hypoesthesia for Touch and Joint Position Linked to Chronic Pain in MS
- New Laws Are Needed to Protect Health Data Shared Online