Intrathecal drug delivery systems and spinal cord stimulation have shown promise for the treatment of cancer pain in initial studies.
Pain Management Index scores were found to be inversely associated with the percentage of patients who experience pain interference.
Two single nucleotide polymorphisms in the gene encoding for TAO kinase 3 were found to be associated with higher opioid dose requirements in patients with cancer pain.
The majority of patients with cancer who are being treated with World Health Organization Step III opioids were found to experience poor sleep quality, often due to pain.
In a randomized study, researchers sought to determine the effect of IV injections of coix seed oil, a Chinese CAM, on pain and quality of life measures for patients with advanced cancer.
All patients with painful bone metastasis should be referred for palliative radiotherapy to relieve the pain, regardless of age.
Researchers conducted a systematic literature review to identify articles that evaluated the efficacy of cryoablation to control cancer pain.
Art-based interventions could be easily implemented as an adjunct to conventional therapies for cancer-related pain and mood symptoms.
Many oncologists recommend medical marijuana clinically despite not feeling sufficiently knowledgeable about its utility.
Nitrous Oxide/Oxygen Mixture as Adjunct to Morphine May Provide Relief From Breakthrough Cancer Pain
Self-administration of a nitrous oxide/oxygen mixture may be more effective than oxygen alone as an adjunct analgesic treatment in reducing moderate to severe breakthrough cancer pain.
A guideline update from the American Society for Radiation Oncology continues to support the efficacy and safety of palliative radiation therapy for bone metastases.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Tools to Address the Opioid Crisis
- Methamphetamine Use on the Rise in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Operant Learning May Provide More Benefits Than Energy Conservation in Fibromyalgia
- Half of the Responders to Our Poll Agree With the Approval of Dsuvia: We Want to Hear From You
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- FDA Panel Votes in Favor of Abuse-Deterrent Oxycodone Reformulation
- FDA Proposes New Restrictions on Sale of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
- Central Sensitization in Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome
- Pain Acceptance May Reduce Headache-Related Disability in Migraine
- FDA Issues Safety Alert Regarding Intrathecal Delivery of Pain Meds