CALCIUM DISODIUM VERSENATE Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Edetate calcium disodium (EDTA) 200mg/mL; IV, IM inj.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for CALCIUM DISODIUM VERSENATE:
Lead poisoning. Lead encephalopathy.
Adults and Children:
See full labeling. Maintain hydration. IM for children and overt lead encephalopathy. Blood lead levels 20–70micrograms/dL: 1g/m2 per day. IV: infuse over 8–12 hours. IM: divided doses every 8–12 hours. Treat for 5 days then stop for 2–4 days; may repeat. If levels over 70micrograms/dL: give with BAL; see full labeling.
Anuria. Renal disease. Hepatitis.
Risk of potentially fatal toxic effects (see full labeling).
Increased intracranial pressure (IV). Monitor urinalysis, urinary sediment, electrolytes, renal and hepatic function. Discontinue at 1st sign of renal toxicity. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Steroids may increase renal toxicity. May chelate zinc in insulin preparations.
Acute necrosis of proximal tubules (may result in fatal nephrosis), fever, chills, malaise, hypotension, arrhythmias, zinc deficiency, hypercalcemia, glycosuria, proteinuria, hematuria, large epithelial cells in urinary sediment, GI upset, polydipsia, histamine-like reactions, transient bone marrow depression, anemia, local reactions.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis