Generic Name and Formulations:
Buspirone HCl 5mg, 10mg, 15mg+, 30mg+; scored (+bi/trisected) tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Buspirone:
Take consistently with regard to food. Initially 7.5mg twice daily, may increase by 5mg/day every 2–3 days. Usual range: 20–30mg/day; max 60mg/day.
<6yrs: not recommended. 6–17yrs: doses of 7.5–30mg twice daily have been used.
Severe renal or hepatic impairment: not recommended. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Hypertensive crisis with MAOIs: see Contraindications. Avoid alcohol, large amounts of grapefruit juice. Caution with other CNS drugs. May potentiate haloperidol, diazepam, nefazodone. Potentiated by nefazodone, verapamil, diltiazem, erythromycin, itraconazole, ketoconazole, ritonavir, other CYP3A4 inhibitors (use lower initial dose). Antagonized by rifampin, dexamethasone, phenytoin, phenobarbital, carbamazepine, other CYP3A4 inducers.
Dizziness, GI upset, headache, nervousness, CNS or emotional effects, nonspecific chest pain, tinnitus, dream disturbances.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- FDA Approves Minimally-Invasive, Non-Drug Therapy for Pain Management
- Chronic Migraine and Medication Overuse Headache Linked to Stress
- Set of Personality Traits May Predict Prescription Drug Use, Misuse in Young Adults
- The Opioid Crisis: District by District
- Opioid Administration, Prescribing in the ED on the Decline in Recent Years