Research is clear: Many physicians are struggling but they don't always feel comfortable speaking up.
Researchers evaluated how the residency experience affects sleep, physical activity, and mood among 33 first-year residents.
The Lean approach, which emphasizes reducing waste and improving customer value by focusing on the big picture, can be used to address physician burnout.
Investigators believe the National Academy of Medicine represents one of the best organizations to take on the role of coordinating and synthesizing ongoing efforts and to facilitate collective action for greater progress in fighting burnout.
One practice implemented a three-pronged approach to improve physician engagement, which increased the number of employees who reported being fully engaged from 17.5% to 40% within a year and a half.
Artificial intelligence, in which computers can be trained to recognize patterns in large quantities of data, may be able to reduce physicians' burdens, saving them time and energy.
Burnout is prevalent among physicians, affecting over one-third of physicians in a single health system, and is associated with health care delivery.
Suicide among physicians is a staggering public health crisis that has gone largely ignored; one physician shares his insight.
Health policy experts emphasize that the stresses female physicians face throughout their careers, including the pay gap, returning to medicine, and burnout, need to be addressed to prevent women from leaving the profession.
Dike Drummond, MD, and CEO of The Happy MD, an organization focused on physician burnout prevention and leadership, shares his insights on how to tackle compassion fatigue and burnout in the emergency department.
Tools and resources have been developed to help address physician burnout at the systems level, which may affect more than half of doctors.
Physicians fear financial penalties associated with missing work when ill, as well as pressure from administrators.
Physicians who are experiencing burnout are more than twice as likely to leave their organization within 2 years, and this is associated with significant economic costs.
Satisfaction was correlated with less chaos, more cohesion, better communication, and closer values alignment at work; there was no correlation with higher-quality care or fewer medical errors.
Despite growing awareness of physician burnout in recent years, the problem has continued to increase. Take a look at risk factors and consequences of physician burnout, and how to address the issue.
Reducing burnout among emergency medicine residents is essential and requires interventions at the individual level and among emergency medicine residency training programs.
Working with a scribe significantly improves physicians' overall satisfaction, satisfaction with chart quality and accuracy, and charting efficiency.
Two physicians offer their opinions on June's Legal Advisor from Clinical Advisor about a female nurse that was fired for falling asleep while on duty in a hospital.
Different paths to perspective of another's experience are associated with varying effect on helpers' health during helping behavior.
An intervention to foster resilience among professional women at high risk for stress and burnout is beneficial.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Replacing Sleep, Sedentary Behavior With Physical Activity Beneficial in Knee Osteoarthritis
- FDA Outlines Plan for New Analgesic Guidance to Combat Opioid Crisis
- The Role of Psychological Factors in Phantom Limb Pain Reviewed
- Rates of Concurrent Opioid, Sedative-Hypnotic Prescription Fills in Veterans
- Ozone vs Corticosteroids May Provide Longer-Lasting Effects for Plantar Fasciitis
- Ketamine: Mechanisms of Action, Uses in Pain Medicine, and Side Effects
- Medicinal Cannabis May Not Have Opioid-Sparing Effects in Chronic Noncancer Pain
- Cannabis May Be Effective for Migraine Treatment
- Integrating Psychological Interventions Into Chronic Pain Management
- Chronic Neck Pain: Generators, Clinical Examination, MRI Findings, and Differential Diagnosis
- Pregabalin May Not Improve Analgesia During Medical Abortion
- Investigational Treatment Shows Promise in Chronic Low Back Pain
- Rheumatologist-Assessed vs Criteria for Inflammatory Back Pain in Psoriatic Arthritis
- Incorporating Guidelines Into Clinical Practice: An Interview With Gary L. LeRoy, MD
- Pain Severity May Partly Mediate the Association Between Depression and Physical Performance in Knee OA