Generic Name and Formulations:
Praziquantel 600mg; scored tabs.
Indications for BILTRICIDE:
For the treatment of infections due to: all species of schistosoma, and infections due to the liver flukes, Clonorchis sinensis/Opisthorchis viverrini.
Adults and Children:
Swallow whole with water during meals. <4yrs: not established. ≥4yrs: Schistosomiasis: 20mg/kg 3 times daily as a one day treatment, at intervals ≥4hrs and ≤6hrs. Clonorchiasis, opisthorchiasis: 25mg/kg 3 times daily as a one day treatment, at intervals ≥4hrs and ≤6hrs.
Ocular cysticercosis. Concomitant strong CYP450 inducers (eg, rifampin).
Renal or moderate-to-severe hepatic impairment. History of epilepsy. Cerebral cysticercosis: hospitalize patient for duration of treatment. Monitor patients with cardiac irregularities. Possible clinical deterioration (paradoxical reactions, serum sickness Jarisch-Herxheimer like reactions). Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended and during subsequent 72hrs.
See Contraindications. Discontinue rifampin 4 weeks before giving praziquantel; may be restarted one day after completing praziquantel treatment. Potentiated by CYP450 inhibitors (eg, cimetidine, ketoconazole, itraconazole, erythromycin), grapefruit juice. Antagonized by CYP450 inducers (eg, phenytoin, phenobarbital, carbamazepine, dexamethasone).
Malaise, headache, dizziness, abdominal discomfort with or w/o nausea, fever, urticaria.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis