Betaxolol HCl Ophthalmic Solution Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Betaxolol HCl 0.5%; oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Indications for Betaxolol HCl Ophthalmic Solution:
Open-angle glaucoma. Ocular hypertension.
1–2 drops in affected eye(s) twice daily. Concomitant therapy with pilocarpine and other miotics, and/or epinephrine and/or carbonic anhydrase inhibitors can be instituted if needed.
Sinus bradycardia. Greater than 1st-degree AV block. Cardiogenic shock. Overt cardiac failure.
History of cardiac failure or heart block. Discontinue at 1st sign of cardiac failure. Asthma. Pulmonary impairment. Diabetes (esp. labile). May mask hypoglycemia and hyperthyroidism. May potentiate muscle weakness. Discontinue before general anesthesia. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate or be potentiated by systemic β-blockers. May potentiate reserpine, hypoglycemics. May antagonize adrenergic psychotropics.
Transient discomfort, tearing. Rarely: decreased corneal sensitivity, erythema, itch, corneal punctate staining, keratitis, anisocoria, photophobia, depression, headache, bradycardia, dyspnea, hives.
Formerly known under the brand name Betoptic.
Soln—5mL, 10mL, 15mL
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis