Back & Spine Pain
Radiofrequency denervation of thoracic facet joints may provide pain relief comparable to that achieved for cervical and lumbar facet joints.
Patients with low back pain who are depressed are more likely to be prescribed opioids, and to be prescribed higher doses.
In states where marijuana is legalized for medicinal purposes, Medicare's prescription drug benefit program has lowered its spending due to reduced prescription drug use.
Neither manipulation nor functional therapy affects pain, quality of life, or spinal mobility.
More lumbar surgeries in patients undergoing discography, and more medical visits, work loss, pain.
Two primary medical specialties are joining their efforts to establish a clinical data registry for patients with injuries of the spine.
Prevalence of cervical degenerative disc disease tended to be 1.38 times higher in women (4.5%) than in men (3.3%).
Does your pain clinic currently allow the use of cannabis in combination with opioid medication? If so, has a maximum THC threshold been identified? How have your patients responded to such treatment?
While maintaining an acceptable level of diagnostic image quality, simple methods could help reduce CT radiation exposure.
Clinically superior mean outcome measures with IDB and conservative medical management.
Active smokers had a worse cumulative degenerative disk disease score by an average of 1 point.
Understanding how pain catastrophizing works can assist clinicians with providing effective treatments to patients with chronic pain.
The researchers found that the average pain score did not differ between the smoker vs non-smoker groups or between different groups for BMI.
Epidural steroid injections (ESIs) may lower health care spending in patients with low back pain.
This case study highlights discrepancies between physical and radiologic findings and physical limitations in a patient with cervical and lumbar pain complaints.
Rehabilitation following traumatic spinal cord injuries may lead to better outcomes, according to new research.
Evidence-based treatments recommendations for ankylosing spondylitis, nonradiographic axial spondyloarthritis.
Acupuncture and pharmacotherapy may have synergistic effects on neuropathic pain.
A review of different approaches for preventing transmission of pain signals to the brain.
Have you seen the "power of suggestion" provide relief to patients in chronic pain?
New data suggests a decline in emergency room opioid prescribing rates.
Ask about recent travel to high-risk areas and symptoms such as sudden fever.
The correlation between mental health and how well chronic pain is controlled has been well established, and this particular case appears to demonstrate this relationship quite well.
Specific exercises to improve coordination of muscles that control and support spine.
Notifying patients of potential winter storm-related harms ahead of time may help reduce injuries during blizzard-like conditions.
Researchers found that MAPCs were able to modulate the aggressive behavior of macrophages in lab animals.
Researchers uncover new data on brain reorganization after spinal cord injury.
While overall risk remained low, children with neuromuscular disorders were 3 times more likely to suffer from cardiac arrest during spine surgeries.
Survey shows discontinuity between spine surgeon compensation and patients' perceptions.
Only D-dimer level at two weeks after injury accurately predict deep vein thrombosis formation.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- Predicting Pain Chronicization After Spine Surgery
- Chronic Low Back Pain Levels Vary Between Sex and Race
- FDA Approval of Medication With a Digital Monitoring System: Major Breakthrough or "Brave New World"?
- Errors in Clinical Notes Generated by Speech Recognition Are Not Uncommon
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?