Generic Name and Formulations:
Ceftazidime 2g, avibactam 0.5g; per vial; pwd for IV inj after reconstitution and dilution; sodium content 6.4mEq/vial.
Indications for AVYCAZ:
Susceptible infections including complicated intra-abdominal infections (cIAI), in combination with metronidazole, complicated urinary tract infections (cUTI), including pyelonephritis, and hospital-acquired or ventilator-associated bacterial pneumonia (HABP/VABP).
Give by IV infusion over 2hrs. ≥18yrs: 2.5g every 8hrs. cIAI (in combination with metronidazole): treat for 5–14 days. cUTI, HABP/VABP: treat for 7–14 days. Renal impairment (CrCl 31–50mL/min): 1.25g every 8hrs; (CrCl 16–30mL/min): 0.94g every 12hrs; (CrCl 6–15mL/min): 0.94g every 24hrs; (CrCl ≤5mL/min): 0.94g every 48hrs; give after hemodialysis on hemodialysis days.
<18yrs: not established.
Penicillin or other beta-lactam allergy. Discontinue if allergic reaction occurs. Evaluate and manage fluid, electrolyte levels, supplement protein intake if C.diff-associated diarrhea suspected or confirmed. Renal impairment; monitor CrCl at least daily and adjust dose as necessary. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Cephalosporin + beta-lactamase inhibitor.
Concomitant probenecid: not recommended. False (+) urine glucose test possible.
Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting; C.diff-associated diarrhea, hypersensitivity reactions, CNS reactions (eg, seizure, encephalopathy, coma).
Single-use vial—1, 10
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis