The randomized, double-blind, controlled trial (N=24,081) included patients with rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis who required chronic NSAID treatment.
In patients with painful hip osteoarthritis, an intramuscular glucocorticoid injection may effectively alleviate hip pain in the short-term.
The results of 2 randomized controlled trials showed that filgotinib improved quality of life when given in combination with methotrexate or as monotherapy in rheumatoid arthritis.
Laparoscopic gastric band surgery is associated with more improvement in knee osteoarthritis in younger patients and those without prior knee injury.
Intravenous and subcutaneous administration of tanezumab may provide similar analgesia and tolerability in patients with hip or knee osteoarthritis.
In clinical trials, treatment with Durolane resulted in greater reduction in Visual Analog Scale (VAS) pain scores at 3 and 6 months compared to Synvisc One (hylan G-F 20; Sanofi Genzyme).
The effects of glucosamine supplements in the treatment of patients with painful temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis were not superior to the effects of ibuprofen taken 2 to 3 times per day.
Hydroxychloroquine was no more effective than placebo in reducing symptoms or radiographic progression in patients with moderate to severe hand pain and radiographic osteoarthritis.
Unilateral and bilateral knee pain may be associated with development of prefrailty and frailty over 6 years.
In addition to being safer and more cost-effective, short-acting opioids are comparable with long-acting opioids for pain management in patients with chronic osteoarthritis.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer